top of page

Memorial for Frodo

This year has been awful for my family... I won't go over all the unfortunate events that have befallen my little family this year, because they are listed in other blog posts.

On August 1, our brave and silly mascot lost his battle with whatever was wrong with him. He passed at around 8:30 am that morning. Even though it's been almost 2 weeks since he passed we are still grieving his loss.

For those who don't know, in early July, Frodo came down with a sudden illness that was attacking his muscles. The vets couldn't pinpoint the cause and said that it was an autoimmune response to something. He seemed to respond to the antibiotics and steroids he was put on for a few days, but then he regressed and stayed pretty much the same until after breakfast time the day he passed.

It was a very sudden thing that morning. Marc says Frodo happily ate his breakfast and was acting fine. Then after his shower, he found Frodo lying on the floor panting for breath. I rushed him to the Mount Laurel Animal Hospital, a roughly 10 minute drive. When I parked the car I heard a gasp from Frodo, a gasp for air. He was rushed back to triage and was given oxygen in an attempt to stabilize him. The vet said we had 2 options, both of which were extremely hard choices. One choice was to put him on a ventilator indefinitely, which we couldn't do. That would have been selfish and cruel. We chose the other option.

Frodo passed less than 2 hours after we arrived at the hospital. He had just turned 6 years old. It has been a very trying time for my husband and I as we deal with our own emotions and having to repeatedly talk to Elijah, our 3 year old son, about what happened and why Frodo isn't here anymore. I think it's finally starting to sink in with Elijah, because he is now starting to talk about how much he misses Frodo instead of asking where Frodo is.

Having Elijah asking all his questions has been the hardest part of this whole situation.

Frodo was just the best kitty. He was super chill with Elijah when we brought him home from the hospital November 2015. He always lets the vets and the vet techs do whatever they wanted with him during his check ups. He never clawed the furniture, never bit or scratched anyone. He was always there to greet us at the start of every day and to say goodnight at the end. Words can't fully describe how much of a good boy he was. I miss him so much.

We are living our lives and moving on though. Today Elijah and I went to the pet store and bought him a beta fish, he named it Goldie. Elijah is over the moon to have another pet, so I think Goldie will help him and all of us adjust and move on. We do eventually want to get another cat, but we have to pay off Frodo's medical bills first.

Sorry to have saddened anyone. This was very painful to write even though it's been nearly 2 weeks. I haven't been able to write anything until now though, because of how painful it all is. I'm glad Frodo's suffering is over, as much as I would rather have him here with me now, I know we made the right choice. He's waiting for us in heaven now. Please enjoy the pictures of Frodo! I have included photos from Kittenhood all the way to the day before he passed. These are just a small selection of what we have. I hope you appreciate them. I cried looking at all of them and writing this post.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page